Instant Pot Tomato Pilaf, such an easy and delicious rice dish! You can totally make this to suit your taste buds. Ramp up the spices or just use a few. Use chili powder or leave it completely out of the equation to make a mellow pilaf. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! Recipe below.
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Whole spices (1 tsp fennel seeds, 2 bay leaves, 2 inch cinnamon stick, 2-3 cardamom pods, 4-5 cloves)
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin/jeera powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 2 cups rice, washed, soaked in cold water for about 20 minutes and drained
- 3 cups stock of choice, or water
- Set the Instant Pot on sauté mode. -Add oil and let it smoke; add whole spices and sauté until aromatic.
- Toss in onions, cook for a few minutes, add peas and tomatoes. -Cook until tomatoes are pulpy.
- Add ginger garlic paste, and all the powders. Combine well.
- Add soaked and drained rice, combine.
- Pour stock (vegetable/chicken) or water.
- Cancel the sauté mode and set the Instant Pot to rice mode, close lid and let cook until done.
- Once cooked and ready to open, fluff rice with a fork. Serve hot with yogurt, raita and lemon wedges.
- This pilaf can be eaten as is, or accompanied with a paneer or meat curry. Enjoy!