This delicious curry does not use ginger, and coconut milk. It gets its consistency from the ground spices, onions and tomatoes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 lb lamb chops with bone
- 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt to cook the lamb
- Whole garam masala (4 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon, 3 cardamoms, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp black pepper seeds)
- 6-8 whole dreied red chilies/Byadgi red chilies
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 2 cups tomatoes diced
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste (or 2 tsp lime juice)
- Salt to taste
- Place a large, heavy-bottom wok over medium-high heat, add oil and let it begin to smoke. This temperature is required to bring out the flavors of the spices, garlic and chilies.
- Add whole garam masala. Toast them all in hot oil for a few seconds until aromatic. Add garlic cloves and chilies. Toss to combine, reduce heat to medium.
- Add half of the diced onions, cook to a golden brown. Toss in tomatoes and let cook. Turn off the heat and add this mixture into a blender.
- Set aside until it cools down. Grind to a coarse paste.
- In a pressure cooker, add raw lamb, turmeric and salt, Add 3 cups water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Turn off the stove and let cool. Check to see if the meat is cooked through. Take a piece of meat and run it under cold water, pinch it with your fingers, if it peels easily, it has cooked well. If it is tuff and rubbery, it may need to be cooked for a few more whistles.
- The tenderness will vary depending on the age of the lamb. Young lamb cooks very fast, while older mature lamb meat takes longer to cook.
- Back to the same wok, add oil and a bay leaf. Add the remaining diced onions and let cook for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Drain and add the cooked lamb. Saute for a few minutes. Add the ground masala paste and tamarind paste. Combine and let cook for a minute.
- To this add the lamb broth from the pressure cooker. Check for salt, as we had already added some while pressure cooking the lamb. Add more if needed. Turn down the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with naan, lime, and raw onion slices. Enjoy!