It is then plated and stacked. Dusted with powdered sugar when still warm , and doused in tangy sweet warm berry compote. A little piece of heaven on a Sunday! Enjoy!
For the toast
- A loaf of brioche, cut into 8-10 thick slices.
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup coffee liquor
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 stick butter
For the berry compote
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- Juice of half a key lime
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp cornstarch (optional)
- Add berries in a saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a boil
- When the fruits get pulpy, add lime juice and honey. Stir to combine.
- Make a slurry of cornstarch and a few spoons of water.
- Add this to the berries, cook for a minute and remove from heat. Set aside.
French toast preparation:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, coffee liquor and melted butter. Pour it into a shallow dipping plate.
- Set a skillet on medium heat.
- Smear a generous serving of butter and let it foam.
- Dip bread in the egg mixture, flip and soak well on both sides. Gently place them in the skillet and fry until golden brown. Flip and repeat.
- Serve hot off the griddle with warm berry compote and a generous dusting of sugar. Enjoy