This recipe is not from scratch, its made with MTR's Gulab Jamun Mix. If you want to take the guesswork out of mixing the right proportion of flour, milk powder and baking powder to make gulab jamuns, I suggest you try the MTR foods, instant mix.
Here is a quick recap video of the steps I followed.
- Just follow direction, mix the powder with water to form a soft dough. Do not over mix. Cover the dough with a damp cloth or tissue and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, dissolve equal measures of water and sugar in a bowl, according to the directions on the packet. Bring it to a boil for 5 minutes. Set aside. I added saffron, cardamoms, cloves and rose petals for added depth of flavor.
- Grease hands with melted ghee. Make small balls of the dough and assemble on a plate. Keep covered while the oil heats.
- In a heavy sauce pan, add about 2 cups of vegetable oil. Heat on medium until it begins to smoke. Lower the temperature.
- Place about 12-15 dough balls into a a metal strainer and set it into the hot oil. Gently move the strainer to release the jamuns. Cook the jamuns on low to medium heat, constantly turning them so they cook evenly and gain an even color.
- When the jamuns are golden brown, drain them from the oil and pour them all into the arm sugar syrup. Give a gentle stir and let soak for about an hour.
- Serve warm or chilled. Tastes great with vanilla ice - cream in the side, enjoy!