One can call this rich dessert a sinful decadent bite of heaven. This halwa takes me back to MTR foods, a famous sweet store in my hometown, Bangalore. They also have a restaurant that serves the best South Indian food! The badam halwa just melts in your mouth.
This sweet is a blend of ground almonds, sugar and milk. It is garnished with nuts and saffron to enhance flavor. You can serve this warm or chilled.
- 2 cups blanched almonds, powdered or almond flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/4 tsp saffron soaked in a few spoons of hot milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Some chopped pistachios, for garnish
- In a blender, add almond powder and milk. Blend to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, on medium heat, add sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.
- To this add almond paste, and saffron soaked in milk. Stir constantly for the next 5-7 minutes. Turn the heat to low and watch not to burn.
- When the mixture begins to form a dough, turn it off. Add ghee and cardamom powder. Combine to form a smooth mixture.
- Garnish with pistachios and saffron. Enjoy!