When you are crunched for time, here is a quick dessert you can whip up. You can start with a ready store bought cake or make it. Red velvet cake truffles are made of cake crumbs, butter and icing sugar, rolled into balls and dipped in melted chocolate. You may also roll them in coconut flakes or drizzle them with chocolate ganache. Lets get started.
Makes 36 truffles
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake mix, with ingredients needed to bake
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. oil, vegetable or coconut
- Cake crumbs or sprinkles to decorate
- Prepare cake according to package directions for a rectangle or round cake. Allow to cool. Crumble the cake with your hands or in the food processor.
- Pour the crumbs into a mixing bowl. Add icing sugar and melted butter. Using your hands, roll the crumbs into balls about 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Freeze cake balls for two hours until they are hard. When ready to dip, prep the white and dark chocolate to dip.
- Place a cup of chocolate chips and a spoon of oil in a glass cup. Microwave in 15 second bursts for about 90 seconds stirring at intervals until the chocolate has melted. Always work with small batches.
- Using a fork or toothpick, press into cake ball and dunk in melted chocolate. Tap on side of bowl to remove excess. Slide off the truffles carefully and drop onto parchment paper.
- Repeat for remaining cake balls. Drizzle melted chocolate over it and decorate with sprinkles or cake crumbs. Chill in the fridge or at room temperature until the truffles are set. Enjoy!