Here is an easy tomato sauce recipe that you can make and store for a few weeks. Use them in pastas, or pizza toppings.
This recipe makes about 8 cups of sauce
8 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 cups red onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp fresh or dried mixed Italian herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme)
1 tsp red chili flakes with seeds
3 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/8th cup fresh lime juice
- In a heavy bottom pan, on medium-high heat, add oil.
- When it begins to shimmer, add garlic paste and red onions.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the herbs, chili flakes, and salt. Saute for a few minutes.
- Throw in all he chopped tomatoes and cook on high heat for 5 minutes, then on medium heat, covered for 10 minutes.
- Add lime juice and sugar.
- Turn off the heat. Mash it down to a coarse pulpy mixture.
- Use it as is, on pasta or pizza.
- You can divide it into 2 or 3 portions and store it in airtight containers.
- They will last for a few weeks in the fridge.