This is going to be a runny batter, but it will cook to perfection. It is also made with 100% percent whole wheat flour. The recipe makes 2 round or square 8 inch cakes.
For the cake:
1 and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water
For the glaze:
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh orange juice or less
- Prep two pans by butter greasing and flour dusting them. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven at 160 degree C, on bake setting.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and whisk until they are combined. Set aside.
- Mix all the wet ingredients except hot water. Whisk until they are well combined.
- Pour the wet into the dry, combining them gently with a manual whisk until all the lumps disappear.
- Now add boiling water and combine with a spatula. Pour the watery mixture into the two pans equally.
- Pat the pans gently to get rid of air bubbles.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes depending on your oven make.
- Insert a skewer stick or toothpick through the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, we are good.
- Remove the cakes and cool them completely.
- Prepare the glaze, by sifting all the dry ingredients together.
- Add warm melted butter and orange juice in little drops and whisk to get a shiny glaze. Depending on how thick or thin you want the glaze, use that orange juice. I used most of the juice for a medium consistency.
- Pour it over the cooled cake. Let the glaze roll down the sides. Once the glaze is completely dry, decorate it with fresh oranges. Enjoy!