Soft crumbly bran bars and easy on your teeth, unlike oats. Crushed nuts, berries and dates are a great addition. These bars are loved by elder folk than kids.
Yields about 24-2 inch squares
1 cup oat bran
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup dates, pitted and pureed
1/2 cup honey
1 cup cranberries
1 cup almonds, pulsed to a crumbly texture
1 cup sunflower seeds
- Dry roast the nuts, seeds, oat and wheat bran, individually, on high, for 90 to 120 seconds in the microwave. You may also dry roast it in a shallow pan on the stove, on low heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Puree the dates, cranberries and honey with a few spoons of hot water, in a processor. You can make it smooth or chunky, just the way you like it. I kept it chunky. Set aside.
- In a large pan, on low heat, add the roasted nuts seeds, followed by bran; Combine.
- Add the cranberry-date-honey puree. Stir to form a dough. Turn off the heat and combine until they come together.
- Line a rectangle baking pan (12 x 10 inches) with parchment paper.
- Press the mixture flat with your hands. Let it freeze for about an hour.
- Cut it into squares. Store in the refrigerator, for best taste. It stays fresh for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!