Soft crumbly bran bars and easy on your teeth, unlike oats. Crushed nuts, berries and dates are a great addition.
Yields about 24-2 inch squares
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup dates, pitted and pureed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup almonds, pulsed to a crumbly texture
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Dry roast the nuts, seeds, oat and wheat bran, individually, on high, for 90 to 120 seconds in the microwave. You may also dry roast it in a shallow pan on the stove, on low heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Puree the dates, cranberries and honey with a few spoons of hot water, in a processor. You can make it smooth or chunky, just the way you like it. I kept it chunky. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the roasted nuts, bran and oats.
- Add the cranberry-date-honey puree to this. Combine to form a dough.
- Line a rectangle baking pan (12 x 10 inches) with parchment paper.
- Press the mixture flat with your hands. Let it freeze for about 2 hours.
- Cut it into squares. Store in the refrigerator, for best taste. It stays fresh for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!