Here is a creamy blend of spinach, lentils and spices, in just the right proportions; make it once, and you will crave for it every time :-)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 cup toor dal/yellow lentils
4 cups of baby spinach leaves, washed and drained
1 medium sized tomato, slit half way
4 green chilies
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp pepper seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ghee
1/2 cup whole cream
Salt to taste
Tempering: 1 tsp ghee, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 2 sun-dried red chilies
- Cook the lentils and whole tomato in 3 cups of water. You may pressure cook it, or cook them covered in a saucepan. Once the lentils are cooked and mushy. Turn off the heat.
- In a saute pan on medium heat, add pepper and cumin seeds. Dry roast them for a minute. Add green chilies and garlic; pour a tsp of ghee and saute for a minute. Add the spinach leaves, turmeric and a teaspoon of salt. Saute for a minute and let the spinach wilt; turn off the heat and let it cool.
- In a blender add the cooked lentils, and greens mixture together. Blend to a smooth paste.
- Add it back in the pan and let it boil on low for 5 minutes. Pour cream and stir.
- In a small saute pan on medium heat, add ghee; When it begins to shimmer, add mustard and cumin seeds. When they splatter, add sun dried chilies. Once the chilies roast and smell aromatic, pour the tempering over the spinach curry. Serve with chapatis or rice. Enjoy!