A dense bread made with wholesome ingredients.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar or dates syrup
- 2 eggs, at room temperature (Egg replacer? Use 2 Tbsp flaxseed powder with 6 Tbsp water and use)
- 2 cups apple sauce or apple puree
- 1/2 cup oil, vegetable or coconut
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup dry cranberries
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- In a blender jar add apple sauce, eggs, brown sugar, honey, instant coffee powder and oil. Blend for 30 seconds until it forms a smooth mixture. You may also whisk them all together by hand. Set aside.
- Mix pecan, dried cranberries and chocolate chips. Reserve half a cup to sprinkle later.
- Add the nut mixture into a mixing bowl. To this add flour, oats, chia seeds, baking soda and salt. Combine well.
- Pour wet mixture to dry and fold with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Spray two loaves with nonstick cooking spray or go the traditional butter and flour dusting.
- Pour batter into pans three-fourths full. Sprinkle reserved dried fruit and oats mixture.
- Bake at 300 F for 40-45 minutes. Insert a skewer in the center. If it comes out clean. It is ready to be out of the oven.
- Let cool completely. You can make this over the weekend, cut slices and store in the fridge to pack as weekday snacks for you, your spouse or kids. Enjoy!