Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 40 minutes, if you bake the cake
Ingredients for the ice-cream cake:
1/2 gallon chocolate ice-cream, softened
1/2 gallon vanilla ice-cream
1 9 inch strawberry cake, home made or store bought
1 cup sprinkles
1 cup chocolate chips
If you are using a store bought cake, skip the cake making steps.
Ingredients for the strawberry cake:
4 eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour/maida
2 and 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp strawberry flavor
1 cup warm milk
- Prep the baking pan with butter and flour, line the base with parchment paper; Set aside.
- Sift the baking powder, flour and salt together, set aside.
- Preheat the oven at 375 degree F.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until light yellow and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and oil; beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Pour flour, a little at a time, alternating with milk. Whisk on low speed until combined. Add strawberry flavor and combine.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan, bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and cool completely. Cut the top off, and divide the cake into two equal layers.
Tips for a better ice-cream cake:
- For an ice-cream cake, it is best to use a cake pan with a removable base. When the ice-cream cake is frozen, it can be remove easily.
- It is also best to use ice cream that comes in a paper carton. You can cut off the carton, slice the ice-cream into long thick strips and assemble. You can also melt the ice-cream just a few seconds in the microwave, and apply it in layers. Choose what's convenient for you.
- I prefer to have just ice-cream and cake layers. I dint ice the entire cake with frosting. This cake has enough calories already :-)
- Work quickly while assembling the cake, else the ice-cream can melt right into the cake layer! Freeze the cake after every layer, if you live in warm temperatures.
- Cut the cake with a knife dipped in warm water.
Assembly of the ice-cream cake
- Start by lining the ice-cream-cake pan with cling wrap.
- Overflow the cling wrap so you can cover the finished cake and it is easy to pull of out of the pan when frozen.
- Place the base layer of cake.
- Spread chocolate ice-cream as the second layer.
- Add the third layer as cake.
- Top it with vanilla ice-cream.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Pull over the overflowing cling wrap and seal the cake well.
- Freeze for 8 hours.
- You may frost the frozen cake with frosting or whipped cream, and refreeze it.
- Remove from the freezer for about 15 to 30 minutes before you can cut and serve the cake. Enjoy!